Helena RUUSKA & Tuula UUSI-HALLILA
Teacher & textbook authors - Finland
1. It’s a craft of its own to make text books – teachers are highly educated, so we need also highly qualified learning materials.
2. It takes from 5 to 7 years from the first ideas to the finalized and published learning material product. Creating learning materials for growing human beings is not just like to make fun games!
3. A professional teacher – like a carpenter or a doctor – doesn’t make his or her own tools. Neither should a teacher.
4. Producing learning material is an ideological choice. You need a proper publisher who is responsible for the quality of the work.
5. Studies say young people have increasing challenges in concentrating these days. That is why learning materials should be logical, visual, well structured and innovative. Is it really possible for just anyone to make that happen?
6. Who wants to work for free?